north carolina

Wendy’s Employees Stab Each Other While at Work

Two Wendy’s employees in North Carolina are alleged to have stabbed one another while they were working at the fast-food restaurant, according to police.

Asheboro Police Department (APD) officers raced to the Wendy’s restaurant at 623 West Dixie Drive after they received reports of a stabbing at about 10:22 a.m. on Monday.

According to Fox affiliate WGHP, police said the two employees had gotten into a fight before they both stabbed one another.

When police arrived, they found a 22-year-old man had been stabbed and he was later taken to hospital for treatment.

The network reported a witness told officers that the suspect ran away from the Wendy’s restaurant.

As a precaution, the APD alerted nearby Asheboro High School and South Asheboro Middle School. Both schools then issued a shelter-in-place order, according to WGHP. The order was later lifted.

A second witness told officers the suspect had fled the scene

Weight-Loss Surgery Covered by Workers’ Comp, Carolina Appeals Court Finds

Workers’ compensation insurer Erie Insurance Group must pay for weight-loss surgery for an obese woman who was injured at her child-care center, the North Carolina Court of Appeals decided this week.

The appeals court upheld the North Carolina Industrial Commission’s 2021 award of benefits to Robin Kluttz-Ellison, owner of Noah’s Playloft, a preschool in Salisbury. After the woman fell twice and injured her knees, doctors testified that she needed knee surgery. But before she could have the surgery, Kluttz-Ellison needed to lose a considerable amount of weight, her doctors said.

After multiple, unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, the woman and her physicians said that gastric bypass surgery was her only option, and the full Industrial Commission agreed. Erie Insurance appealed, arguing that the obesity was a pre-existing condition and that bariatric surgery was not directly related to the claimant’s compensable injury.

The Court of Appeals ruled against the insurer.

“By connecting the dots,

His life mattered: After protests and pushback, city settles Smith lawsuit for $2.57 million

More than three years after Marcus Smith, a homeless Black man, died in police custody, the city of Greensboro announced Tuesday that it has settled a wrongful death lawsuit brought by his family for $2.57 million.

Mary Smith sued the city, Guilford County, eight police officers and two paramedics in her son’s controversial death, which has been fuel for those who want to reform Greensboro’s police force.

Video from officer-worn cameras of the September 2018 incident showed an anxious Smith, seemingly in the midst of a mental health episode, on downtown Church Street pleading for help from police before he was restrained, with his hands bound to his feet while lying on his stomach.

The method of extreme restraint — commonly known as “hogtying” — led to his death, a state medical examiner later said.

And it would be the foundation of the lawsuit filed by the Smith family.

Since then, the city has been under immense pressure to settle and spent hundreds of thousands in attorney fees defending various aspects of the case.

Some wondered if a settlement would ever be reached.

But that changed Tuesday.

Driver charged with DWI after 2 killed, 2 hurt in North Carolina

Two people were killed and two others were hurt in a crashin Charlotte, North Carolina Tuesday morning, authorities said. 

Medic responded to a reported crash on Freedom Drive near Alleghany Street around 5:30 a.m. The crash involved a 2004 Nissan Maxima and a 2017 Hyundai Sonata and both received severe damage. 

Medic said two people were pronounced dead at the scene.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department confirmed the identities of the two as Onjenay Porter, 25, and David Coleman, 32. They were passengers in the 2004 Nissan Maxima. 

The drivers of both vehicles were taken to a hospital for treatment. 

CMPD says the Nissan turned directly in front of the Hyundai, causing the crash. 

The driver, Kenya Harris, was determined to be impaired by an officer.

North Carolina Diocese, Priest Named in Sexual Abuse Lawsuit

A North Carolina diocese and a former priest have been named in a lawsuit alleging child sexual abuse involving a boy at an elementary school that spanned four years.

The lawsuit was filed in Mecklenburg County by attorneys representing the plaintiff, who is identified only as John Doe J.C. Among those named as defendants are the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools and the Rev. Francis P. Gillespie.

The Charlotte diocese said in a statement that Gillespie’s supervising religious order, the Jesuits, assigned him to ministry in the Diocese of Raleigh in 2002 and removed him from ministry on Sept. 29 while the allegation is investigated, which is standard procedure and should not imply guilt, WBTV reported. An

* Word-Use Disclaimer

Legal funding is not a loan. It is the non-recourse purchase of an equitable lien in a plaintiffs’ legal claim. Words such as ‘loans,’ ‘lending,’ ‘borrow,’ etc., are used for search and marketing purposes only.
More info

TriMark Legal Funding LLC
1056 Green Acres Rd #102
Eugene, OR 97408