A woman whose mother died of the coronavirus at a Seattle-area nursing home that was ravaged by the COVID-19 outbreak filed a wrongful death lawsuit on Friday against the company that owns the facility.
Debbie de los Angeles, whose mother Twilla Morin, 85, died on March 4 at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington of COVID-19 sued its parent company, Life Care Centers of America, alleging the company concealed vital facts about the outbreak before her mother died.
It is believed to be the first wrongful death lawsuit against the company, whose facility in Kirkland was the initial epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, and has been linked to at least 35 coronavirus deaths.
Cleveland, Tennessee-based Life Care Centers of America Inc is among the largest players in U.S. nursing home care, with more than 200 senior-living centers in 28 states. The company said last month that it would take stringent infection-control measures at all its facilities to guard against coronavirus.
De los Angeles accuses Life Care, its parent company, and senior executives at the Kirkland facility of “failing to disclose material facts” to relatives and residents at the home, so that her mother would be lulled into staying at the facility “in an environment, and under the care of individuals and entities, dangerous to her health and safety.”
Morin died 24 hours after contracting COVID-19 on March 3. De los Angeles never got to see or talk to her mother during that time and discovered her mother’s condition and death through voicemails left by nurses at the care home.
More COVID-19-related information you may be interested in:
- State to repay inmates for seized unemployment benefits
- California firefighter settles whistleblower lawsuit against US Forest Service
- Lawsuit: COVID treatment discriminates against white people
- Rutgers Settles Tuition Reimbursement Lawsuit In COVID Shutdown
- The Real Cause of the Crisis in Our Hospitals Is Greed
- ThedaCare lawsuit shows how Covid-19 disrupted the nursing labor market
- New complaint narrows scope of COVID-19 mandate lawsuit
- Lawmakers move to extend protections for health providers against COVID lawsuits
- Will Fired Unvaccinated Employees Get Their Jobs Back After SCOTUS Blocks Biden Mandate?
- Judge blocks hospital from taking COVID-19 patient off ventilator
- Michigan auditor general says COVID deaths 30% higher than reported
- U.S. business fears never-ending liability from ‘take-home’ COVID-19 lawsuits
- Lawsuit accuses Calif. hospital of letting dead bodies of COVID patients decompose
- First COVID-19 death claim in San Bernardino County jails filed
- The Harvard Crimson Year In Review
- COVID-related labor laws have employers confused
- Failure to Care; Nursing Home Ravaged By Covid-19
- Dave Ramsey fired staffer for taking Covid precautions, lawsuit says
- California’s Biggest Nursing Home Owner Faces Lawsuit over 24 COVID-Related Deaths
- COVID-19 and malpractice lawsuits: What the future may hold
- It’s only the beginning: Employment lawyer predicts more lawsuits likely
- Federal Panel Rules Against Nursing Homes; COVID-19 Lawsuits Belong in State Court
- U.S. appeals court rules against nursing homes over COVID-19 lawsuits
- COVID-related malpractice lawsuits rise
- Lawyers for COVID-19 infected inmates, families of prisoners who have died seek class-action status
- Southwest Airlines flight attendant sues after husband dies of COVID-19
- ODH broke state public records law by not releasing nursing home COVID-19 deaths
- Twice as Many Workers Died of COVID at Tyson Foods Than Any Other Meatpacker
- Here Come the Covid Liability Lawsuits
- Family of first person in immigration custody to die from COVID-19 files wrongful death lawsuit
- COVID-19 Wrongful Death Class Action Lawsuits
- ‘Take home’ lawsuits over COVID infections could be costly for U.S. employers
- COVID-19 Related Workplace Deaths: Rise Of Wrongful Death Claims
- Families File First Wave of Covid-19 Lawsuits Against Companies Over Worker Deaths
- Can I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit for Treatment Related to COVID-19?
- Seattle-area nursing home hit with COVID-19 wrongful death lawsuit
- Family of Walmart Employee Files COVID-19 Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Walmart hit with wrongful death lawsuit after employee dies of COVID-19 complications
- Estate of Walmart worker who died from COVID-19 sues for wrongful death
- Celebrity Attorney Files First Coronavirus Discrimination Lawsuit
- Covid-19: Future Challenges & Opportunities
Click here to see the original article.