Lawsuit: COVID treatment discriminates against white people
Two white men sued city health departments Tuesday in Brooklyn federal court claiming eligibility requirements for COVID-19 treatments are anti-white.
Jonathan Roberts, 61, and Charles Vavruska, 55, are suing based on New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene guidelines that instruct healthcare providers to “consider race and ethnicity when assessing an individual’s risk.”
The guidelines include this instruction in a list of factors to consider when evaluating eligibility for monoclonal antibodies and oral antivirals like Paxlovid and molnupiravir, which are in short supply.
The guidelines elaborate that “Impacts of longstanding systemic health and social inequities put Black, Indigenous and People of Color at increased risk of severe COVID-19 outcomes and death.”
The suit claims that considering race or ethnicity as a medical risk factor has “no basis in science.”
Medical consensus agrees that Black Americans are getting more severe coronavirus symptoms and dying at a higher rate than white Americans.
An article published in John Hopkins Medicine by endocrinologist Dr. Sherita Hill Golden says people of color are more likely to have chronic health conditions like diabetes, heart disease and lung disease.
According to Golden, those underlying conditions may have gone untreated due to inconsistent access to healthcare. Black Americans are more likely to be uninsured or underinsured compared to white Americans.
More COVID-19-related information you may be interested in:
- State to repay inmates for seized unemployment benefits
- California firefighter settles whistleblower lawsuit against US Forest Service
- Lawsuit: COVID treatment discriminates against white people
- Rutgers Settles Tuition Reimbursement Lawsuit In COVID Shutdown
- The Real Cause of the Crisis in Our Hospitals Is Greed
- ThedaCare lawsuit shows how Covid-19 disrupted the nursing labor market
- New complaint narrows scope of COVID-19 mandate lawsuit
- Lawmakers move to extend protections for health providers against COVID lawsuits
- Will Fired Unvaccinated Employees Get Their Jobs Back After SCOTUS Blocks Biden Mandate?
- Judge blocks hospital from taking COVID-19 patient off ventilator
- Michigan auditor general says COVID deaths 30% higher than reported
- U.S. business fears never-ending liability from ‘take-home’ COVID-19 lawsuits
- Lawsuit accuses Calif. hospital of letting dead bodies of COVID patients decompose
- First COVID-19 death claim in San Bernardino County jails filed
- The Harvard Crimson Year In Review
- COVID-related labor laws have employers confused
- Failure to Care; Nursing Home Ravaged By Covid-19
- Dave Ramsey fired staffer for taking Covid precautions, lawsuit says
- California’s Biggest Nursing Home Owner Faces Lawsuit over 24 COVID-Related Deaths
- COVID-19 and malpractice lawsuits: What the future may hold
- It’s only the beginning: Employment lawyer predicts more lawsuits likely
- Federal Panel Rules Against Nursing Homes; COVID-19 Lawsuits Belong in State Court
- U.S. appeals court rules against nursing homes over COVID-19 lawsuits
- COVID-related malpractice lawsuits rise
- Lawyers for COVID-19 infected inmates, families of prisoners who have died seek class-action status
- Southwest Airlines flight attendant sues after husband dies of COVID-19
- ODH broke state public records law by not releasing nursing home COVID-19 deaths
- Twice as Many Workers Died of COVID at Tyson Foods Than Any Other Meatpacker
- Here Come the Covid Liability Lawsuits
- Family of first person in immigration custody to die from COVID-19 files wrongful death lawsuit
- COVID-19 Wrongful Death Class Action Lawsuits
- ‘Take home’ lawsuits over COVID infections could be costly for U.S. employers
- COVID-19 Related Workplace Deaths: Rise Of Wrongful Death Claims
- Families File First Wave of Covid-19 Lawsuits Against Companies Over Worker Deaths
- Can I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit for Treatment Related to COVID-19?
- Seattle-area nursing home hit with COVID-19 wrongful death lawsuit
- Family of Walmart Employee Files COVID-19 Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Walmart hit with wrongful death lawsuit after employee dies of COVID-19 complications
- Estate of Walmart worker who died from COVID-19 sues for wrongful death
- Celebrity Attorney Files First Coronavirus Discrimination Lawsuit
- Covid-19: Future Challenges & Opportunities
This post originally appears here: https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/lawsuit-covid-treatment-discriminates-against-white-people
About TriMark Legal Funding:
TriMark Legal Funding has provided non-recourse lawsuit funding nationwide on hundreds of different types of lawsuits since 2003. COVID-related lawsuits are an emerging trend that TriMark is monitoring carefully for funding opportunities.
Click here to see the original article.