The family of a Chicago-area Walmart employee who died from COVID-19 has filed a lawsuit against the retail giant, alleging that the company failed to take the precautions necessary to protect its employees during the coronavirus outbreak.
The law firm that filed the lawsuit on behalf of Wando Evans’ estate identified it as the first known wrongful death lawsuit related to COVID-19 in Illinois.
When asked for comment on the suit, a spokesman for Walmart said they “take the issue seriously and will respond with the court once we have been served with the complaint,” which was filed Monday in Cook County.
Evans, 51, had worked for 15 years as an overnight stock and maintenance associate at the Walmart Supercenter in Evergreen Park, located at 2500 W. 95th St., according to a statement from Injury Lawyers of Illinois, LLC.
The firm alleged that store management ignored Evans when he first mentioned his symptoms consistent with coronavirus before he was ultimately sent home from work on March 23. Two days later, his family said he was found dead at his home.
“I’m devastated because I know I won’t get a chance to say goodbye to him,” longtime friend Daryl Bell said in an interview last week. Bell said Evans was a religious man with “a heart of gold” who was engaged to be married.
A second employee who had worked at the same store for nine years, 48-year-old Phillip Thomas, died on March 29.
More COVID-19-related information you may be interested in:
- State to repay inmates for seized unemployment benefits
- California firefighter settles whistleblower lawsuit against US Forest Service
- Lawsuit: COVID treatment discriminates against white people
- Rutgers Settles Tuition Reimbursement Lawsuit In COVID Shutdown
- The Real Cause of the Crisis in Our Hospitals Is Greed
- ThedaCare lawsuit shows how Covid-19 disrupted the nursing labor market
- New complaint narrows scope of COVID-19 mandate lawsuit
- Lawmakers move to extend protections for health providers against COVID lawsuits
- Will Fired Unvaccinated Employees Get Their Jobs Back After SCOTUS Blocks Biden Mandate?
- Judge blocks hospital from taking COVID-19 patient off ventilator
- Michigan auditor general says COVID deaths 30% higher than reported
- U.S. business fears never-ending liability from ‘take-home’ COVID-19 lawsuits
- Lawsuit accuses Calif. hospital of letting dead bodies of COVID patients decompose
- First COVID-19 death claim in San Bernardino County jails filed
- The Harvard Crimson Year In Review
- COVID-related labor laws have employers confused
- Failure to Care; Nursing Home Ravaged By Covid-19
- Dave Ramsey fired staffer for taking Covid precautions, lawsuit says
- California’s Biggest Nursing Home Owner Faces Lawsuit over 24 COVID-Related Deaths
- COVID-19 and malpractice lawsuits: What the future may hold
- It’s only the beginning: Employment lawyer predicts more lawsuits likely
- Federal Panel Rules Against Nursing Homes; COVID-19 Lawsuits Belong in State Court
- U.S. appeals court rules against nursing homes over COVID-19 lawsuits
- COVID-related malpractice lawsuits rise
- Lawyers for COVID-19 infected inmates, families of prisoners who have died seek class-action status
- Southwest Airlines flight attendant sues after husband dies of COVID-19
- ODH broke state public records law by not releasing nursing home COVID-19 deaths
- Twice as Many Workers Died of COVID at Tyson Foods Than Any Other Meatpacker
- Here Come the Covid Liability Lawsuits
- Family of first person in immigration custody to die from COVID-19 files wrongful death lawsuit
- COVID-19 Wrongful Death Class Action Lawsuits
- ‘Take home’ lawsuits over COVID infections could be costly for U.S. employers
- COVID-19 Related Workplace Deaths: Rise Of Wrongful Death Claims
- Families File First Wave of Covid-19 Lawsuits Against Companies Over Worker Deaths
- Can I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit for Treatment Related to COVID-19?
- Seattle-area nursing home hit with COVID-19 wrongful death lawsuit
- Family of Walmart Employee Files COVID-19 Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Walmart hit with wrongful death lawsuit after employee dies of COVID-19 complications
- Estate of Walmart worker who died from COVID-19 sues for wrongful death
- Celebrity Attorney Files First Coronavirus Discrimination Lawsuit
- Covid-19: Future Challenges & Opportunities
Click here to see the original article.