Kathleen Escobar will never forget the day in November 2020 when COVID-19 hit the memory care center where her mother lived.
An aide from Table Rock Memory Care in Medford called to tell Escobar three of the facility’s residents had COVID infections. The aide reassured her: Escobar’s 88-year-old mother, Peggy James, showed no signs of having COVID.
But the news alarmed Escobar. She lived a few minutes away — she could dash over and bring her mother home until the COVID outbreak at Table Rock ended. The Table Rock aide told her that wouldn’t be necessary. The residents with COVID had been isolated. Her mother was safe.
“They acted like it was no big deal,” Escobar says. “They were very much like, ‘It’s all right. Don’t worry about it.’”
It wasn’t all right. Table Rock failed to contain the outbreak, and within days, the number of cases exploded from a few to 87.
Three days after telling Escobar there was nothing to worry about, Table Rock called back to report her mother now had COVID. “My mother suffered terribly,” Escobar says. “She had no idea what was happening to her.” On Dec. 3, 2020, Peggy James died from pneumonia brought on by COVID.
Eventually, 19 people died in the COVID outbreak at Table Rock. Escobar says she still struggles with anger toward Table Rock for failing to protect its residents and the guilt that she didn’t rescue her mother when she had the chance.
“I think about it all the time,” she says now. “It was the worst mistake I ever made in my life.”
More COVID-19-related information you may be interested in:
- State to repay inmates for seized unemployment benefits
- California firefighter settles whistleblower lawsuit against US Forest Service
- Lawsuit: COVID treatment discriminates against white people
- Rutgers Settles Tuition Reimbursement Lawsuit In COVID Shutdown
- The Real Cause of the Crisis in Our Hospitals Is Greed
- ThedaCare lawsuit shows how Covid-19 disrupted the nursing labor market
- New complaint narrows scope of COVID-19 mandate lawsuit
- Lawmakers move to extend protections for health providers against COVID lawsuits
- Will Fired Unvaccinated Employees Get Their Jobs Back After SCOTUS Blocks Biden Mandate?
- Judge blocks hospital from taking COVID-19 patient off ventilator
- Michigan auditor general says COVID deaths 30% higher than reported
- U.S. business fears never-ending liability from ‘take-home’ COVID-19 lawsuits
- Lawsuit accuses Calif. hospital of letting dead bodies of COVID patients decompose
- First COVID-19 death claim in San Bernardino County jails filed
- The Harvard Crimson Year In Review
- COVID-related labor laws have employers confused
- Failure to Care; Nursing Home Ravaged By Covid-19
- Dave Ramsey fired staffer for taking Covid precautions, lawsuit says
- California’s Biggest Nursing Home Owner Faces Lawsuit over 24 COVID-Related Deaths
- COVID-19 and malpractice lawsuits: What the future may hold
- It’s only the beginning: Employment lawyer predicts more lawsuits likely
- Federal Panel Rules Against Nursing Homes; COVID-19 Lawsuits Belong in State Court
- U.S. appeals court rules against nursing homes over COVID-19 lawsuits
- COVID-related malpractice lawsuits rise
- Lawyers for COVID-19 infected inmates, families of prisoners who have died seek class-action status
- Southwest Airlines flight attendant sues after husband dies of COVID-19
- ODH broke state public records law by not releasing nursing home COVID-19 deaths
- Twice as Many Workers Died of COVID at Tyson Foods Than Any Other Meatpacker
- Here Come the Covid Liability Lawsuits
- Family of first person in immigration custody to die from COVID-19 files wrongful death lawsuit
- COVID-19 Wrongful Death Class Action Lawsuits
- ‘Take home’ lawsuits over COVID infections could be costly for U.S. employers
- COVID-19 Related Workplace Deaths: Rise Of Wrongful Death Claims
- Families File First Wave of Covid-19 Lawsuits Against Companies Over Worker Deaths
- Can I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit for Treatment Related to COVID-19?
- Seattle-area nursing home hit with COVID-19 wrongful death lawsuit
- Family of Walmart Employee Files COVID-19 Wrongful Death Lawsuit
- Walmart hit with wrongful death lawsuit after employee dies of COVID-19 complications
- Estate of Walmart worker who died from COVID-19 sues for wrongful death
- Celebrity Attorney Files First Coronavirus Discrimination Lawsuit
- Covid-19: Future Challenges & Opportunities
Click here to see the original article.