3M Combat Arms MDL Passes Asbestos as Largest Ever
Category: 3M Earplugs
More Info: Mass Tort Litigation Funding
3M Combat Arms Earplug products liability multidistrict litigation (MDL) now has the most actions of any MDL ever. And, as plaintiffs claim these earplugs were standard military issue for more than a decade, this may only be the tip of the iceberg.
According to reports from the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Legislation, including the most recent Oct. 15 MDL Statistics Report, the IN RE: 3M Combat Arms Earplug Liability Litigation MDL has amassed 203,722 total actions since its 2018 inception, surpassing IN RE: Asbestos Products Liability Litigation, which has been pending since 1991.
The 3M earplug litigation has its origins in a 2016 dispute under the False Claims Act between 3M and plaintiffs Moldex-Metric Inc. and the United States. In that case, 3M’s subsidiary, Aearo Technologies, allegedly supplied defective earplugs to the U.S. military, falsely certifying in response to the Request for Proposal that the earplugs met the requested medical standards, knowing they did not. In 2018, 3M settled that case for $9.1 million without admitting liability.
Thereafter, soldiers began filing products liability claims against 3M. And, because these claims involved common questions of fact, the MDL Judicial Panel transferred them to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida to be litigated as an MDL. In that centralized case, Judge M. Casey Rodgers gave the plaintiffs a win, ruling that 3M was not entitled to immunity as a government contractor. Judge Rodgers also set the first bellwether trial for April 5, 2021.
This may be only the beginning. With the military’s extensive use of the Combat Arms Earplugs and 3M’s lack of immunity, these claims will likely increase ahead of that trial. If the bellwether trial is then successful, cases could skyrocket.
More 3M earplug lawsuit information you may be interested in:
- 2 vets to get $110M in 3M earplugs suit
- $22.5 Million Verdict in 3M Combat Earplug Trial
- 3M loses latest in series of military earplug cases
- Bellwether Military Earplug Verdicts Underscores Importance of Establishing Government-Contractor Defense
- 3M earplug cases sent to state court as federal bellwether dropped
- 3M Wins Lawsuit Over Military-Issued Earplugs
- Pensacola jury awards $7.1 million in bellwether case over defective 3M military earplugs
- 3M hit with $6MM punitive damages by U.S. jury in first combat earplug trial
- 3M Forces VA Doctor to Testify About Hearing Exam
- 3M Combat Arms MDL Passes Asbestos as Largest Ever
- Lawsuits against 3M moved to federal court
- 3M Earplug, Roundup, and Hernia Mesh Lawsuits Spike in 2019
- Lawsuit says 3M combat arms earplugs don’t work, cause hearing loss for soldiers
- How defective combat earplugs can cause long-term problems
- Parker Waichman initiates over 500 3M earplug lawsuits
- 3M Combat Earplugs Lawsuit | File Before Trials Start April 2021
- 3M Military Combat Arms Earplug Lawsuit
- 53 Lawyers Appointed to Lead 3M Earplug Lawsuits
- MDL Panel Sends Military Service Member’s Lawsuits Faulting 3M Earplugs to Northern District of Florida
- The Pentagon Has Settled A Lawsuit Over Allegedly Defective 3M Earplugs. Now Veterans Are Suing, Too.
- 3M settlement shows how little we care if veterans come home whole
- 3M Conducts Faulty Testing to Obtain Exclusive Military Contract on Earplugs
- Army settlement with earplug maker may lead to more suits by veterans
- Vets with Hearing Loss May Have Defective 3M Earplugs to Blame
- Tinnitus Anyone? 3M Covered Up Its Defective Military Earplugs Since 2000
- Contractor Settles for $9.1M after Providing Defective Earplugs for Troops
- 3M will pay $9M over defective military earplugs
- 3M settles defective combat earplug case for $9.1 million
- Company to pay $9 million after allegedly selling defective combat earplugs to US military
See the full, original post here: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bloomberg-law-analysis/analysis-3m-combat-arms-mdl-passes-asbestos-as-largest-ever
TriMark Legal Funding was founded in 2003 and is one of America's original lawsuit funding companies. TriMark provides pre settlement loans and post settlement loans to injured plaintiffs who are involved in personal injury lawsuits, employment litigation, work injury accidents and workers compensation lawsuits, mass tort litigation, and multidistrict litigation. We also provide post settlement attorney funding and law firm financing.
Resource | Resource | Resource | Resource | Resource
|Other Mass Tort Litigation Funding||Other Multidistrict Litigation Funding|
Click here to see the original article.